Christopher S. “Kit” Bond Lecture Series
The Christopher S. “Kit” Bond Lecture Series provides a forum for national and international experts to explore issues of contemporary significance, including economics, politics, science and global security.
Funded by a $1.3 million endowment, the series promotes debate and understanding and connects leaders with the MU campus and greater community.
Sen. Bond has more than 40 years of public service experience, most recently representing the state of Missouri for four terms in the U.S. Senate (1985-2011). Chairman and partner of Kit Bond Strategies and a partner at Thompson Coburn LLP, Bond has been recognized as a strong leader in the promotion of plant biotechnology to meet the growing demand for nutrition and food and is a board member of the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center.
Sen. Bond is credited with securing more than $500 million in funding for research and capital projects at MU. The Mizzou Advantage, an initiative that capitalizes on MU’s interdisciplinary research, has roots in Food for the 21st Century, a program Bond created in the 1980s when he was Missouri governor to help the state’s food producers.
Speakers for the inaugural lecture were chosen by a selection committee comprised of Cathy Scroggs, vice chancellor of student affairs; Thomas Payne, vice chancellor for agriculture and dean of the College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources; Dr. Robert W. Schwartz, interim dean of Engineering; and Michael O’Brien, dean of the College of Arts and Science.
- To be announced
- Admiral John M. “Mike” McConnell, former Director of National Intelligence
- Dr. Rajiv Shah, Director, USAID (United States Agency for International Development)
- Dr. Frank Clemente, Professor Emeritus, Social Science and Energy Policy, Penn State University
Honored Guests: Economics of Power Generation Forum
- Mr. Daniel Beck, Missouri Public Service Commission Supervisor of Engineering Analysis, Keynote
- Jared Wilmes, MFA Oil Biomass division, Panelist
- Dr. Cerry Klein, Mizzou Advantage Sustainable Energy Facilitator, Panelist
- Mr. Floyd Gilzow, Missouri Public Utility Alliance Director of Member Relations and Public Affairs, Panelist
Spring 2012 (inaugural year)
- His Excellency Dr. Dino Patti Djalal, Ambassador to the United States for the Republic of Indonesia
- Dr. Roger N. Beachy, President Emeritus of the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center
- Minister Nguyen Vu Tung, Deputy Chief of Mission, Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Washington, DC.
- Dr. Le Thanh Binh, Counselor, Head of Office of Science and Technology, Embassy of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Washington, DC.
- Dr. Josyline Javelosa, Agriculture Attache’, Embassy of the Philippines, Washington, D.C.
- Dr. Achmad Rachman, Agriculture Attache’, Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia, Washington, D.C.
- Brigadier General Witjaksono, Defense Attache’, Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia, Washington, D.C.