Established in May 2001, the Harry S Truman School of Public Affairs advances the study and practice of governance in Missouri, the nation and the world.
- We conduct research. Our faculty, staff and students make important contributions to theory and practice across diverse areas of scholarship.
- We inform governance and public policy. We help bring knowledge and expertise directly to policymakers through our policy programs.
- We help our students change the world. Many of our students come to us because they want to make a difference. Our degrees and programs give them the knowledge and experience to do that.
- We prepare the next generation of scholars. The Truman School offers an interdisciplinary PhD in public affairs designed to prepare graduates for careers in college and university teaching and research as well as in applied research settings in the public, private and nonprofit sectors.
- We educate students for ethical leadership. Our graduates apply their knowledge and skills to the critical challenges facing the public, private and nonprofit sectors.
- We foster democratic discourse. We provide a meeting ground for policymakers, community members, scholars and students to engage issues of public policy. Community forums, roundtables, lectures and other civic events facilitate public dialogue.