Established in 2000 as an integral part of the Truman School of Public Affairs, IPP conducts independent, non-partisan research and analysis to inform public policy and benefit all Missourians.
- Accountability: We value accountability to ensure careful evaluation and assessment of policy issues.
- Collaboration: We value interdisciplinary collaboration among academic and government institutions to share the Institute’s talents and resources with the broader community.
- Engagement and Outreach: We value engagement and outreach and are committed to sharing knowledge to promote understanding of public policy.
- Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity: We are committed to inclusion, diversity, and equity in our organizational practices, research, and service delivery.
- Integrity: We provide honest, complete, and professionally presented information with a commitment to ethical conduct.
- Research: We value the advancement of knowledge about public policy issues through academic, practice-centered research.
The Institute’s research and policy analysis centers on community, economic development, education, and health.
Research, Evaluation, and Contract Services
The scope of IPP’s research and evaluation is broad. The Institute partners with state and local public and nonprofit agencies to evaluate programs and provide evidence-based analysis and considerations for program improvement and policy change. IPP also conducts research to understand the impact of policy and policy change and to inform policy development and implementation.
- Evaluation design and implementation
- Survey design, administration, and analysis
- Key informant interview design, implementation, and analysis
- Focus group design, implementation, and analysis
- Technical assistance
- Report writing
Research and Policy Analysis
- Experimental design consultation and implementation
- Data analysis using public-use and restricted-use data
- Application of micro-simulation tools
- Data visualization
- Policy briefs, issue briefs, and literature reviews
MO Department of Corrections’ Community Reentry Initiative; Boone Indicators Dashboard; ParentLink Kinship Navigator Needs Assessment Evaluation
Occupational Licensing and Women in Missouri; Childcare Licensing and Regulation in Missouri.
MO Preschool Development Grant Birth to five; First Year Surveys; Special Education Parent Survey; MO School Climate and Culture Survey; MO Afterschool Network; "No Kid Hungry Program Evaluation; Missouri Educator Preparation Program Annual Performance (APR)
MO Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program Evaluation; in collaboration with MU Human Development and Family Science, ShowMe Healthy Relationships Evaluation in collaboration with MU Center for Health Policy, Medicaid Expansion Evaluation; in collaboration with MU School of Medicine Office of Rural Health, An Innovative Model to Increase Primary Care Physicians for Rural and Underserved Missouri program evaluation; Gap Analysis to Implement the Foundational Public Health Services Model.
Opportunities for Faculty Collaboration
IPP is committed to collaborating with faculty on program evaluation, research, and policy analysis. If you are interested in learning more about opportunities for faculty collaboration at MU’s Institute of Public Policy, please contact Sara Gable (email@example.com).
Opportunities for Graduate Students
Every semester, the Institute welcomes students from all over the MU campus. Students arrive with diverse backgrounds and the opportunity to learn the science and practice of public policy. The experiences students have yielded new knowledge and skills and a greater understanding of the policies that shape our communities, the state, and the nation.
If you are interested in learning more about graduate student opportunities at MU’s Institute of Public Policy, please contact Sara Gable (firstname.lastname@example.org).
IPP Leadership and Contact Information
- Sara Gable, Ph.D., Director (email@example.com)
- Emily Johnson, M.S., Associate Director, Operations (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Wayne Mayfield, Ph.D., Associate Director, Research (email@example.com)
MU Institute of Public Policy l 137 Middlebush Hall l Columbia, MO 65211 l 573-882-4628